We all know that dreaded afternoon slump when all you want to do is leave work or ditch school pickup, head home and crawl into a ball. Oh and stick your head in a bucket full of bad food.
Reaching for a bad snack in the afternoon can not only backtrack your health and fitness goals, it also can make you feel worse. A big rush of sugar, for example, might give you an instant burst of energy- but you’ll find that you’re back to how you were (or even worse) before you know it.
Luckily, there is a ton of healthy snacks that are also delicious and will help you feel full, energised and kicking goals. There are also heaps of small ways you can help yourself get through it.
Here are our top 10 tips for beating that 3 pm slump.
- Smoothies can be packed full of anything your heart desires! Whether you're a fruit lover, a sucker for a chocolate fix or a lover of greens, chuck it in the blender.
- Protein balls. Try adding some to your order this week!
- Trail nuts are best when they are a combination to spice things up and give you a range of different tastes and textures. Chuck in some dried fruit too!
- Veggies and hummus are a delish combination! Making hummus at home allows you to add the extra spices and flavours to have it juuuust how you like it.
- Peanut butter and celery. One of the oldest snack recommendations but with the biggest yum factor. If it ain't broke don't fix it!
- Take your phone conference outside. If you have a meeting that doesn't necessarily require your laptop, try going for a walk while you talk!
- Have some water! So often we mistake thirst for hunger, quick fix!
- Work out on your lunch break. Lots of gyms offer 12 pm sessions, and it will help you feel alert for the remainder of the day!
- Go visit a co-worker. About to hit send on an email to someone in the office? Get up, go for a wander and see them instead. Getting the blood pumping will help you regain focus.
- Stretch it out! A few side stretches never go astray.